10. Your pet isn't the first pampered pooch. Three dogs from First Class cabins (two Pomeranians and a Pekinese) survived the sinking of the Titanic when their owners refused to leave them.
9. Doggy dreams are real. Dogs have the same patterns of sleep as people and it is not uncommon to see your dog running or even eating while in REM (rapid eye movement) sleep!
8. Dogs pant to cool down due to their limited ability to sweat - their only sweat glands are in their feet. When panting, a dog's respiration may be 300-400 breaths per minute compared to the normal 20-40!
6. Many dogs will kick after going to the bathroom. This adds a scent marker from their feet to help claim their turf!
5. You're not alone if you travel with your pooch. A service dog named Nesbit earned over 1 million Delta airline miles and had his own frequent flier card.
4. Dogs can learn about 250 words and have the intelligence of a 2 year old child.
2. Dogs have wet noises due to secretion of mucus that helps them pick up scents and determine the direction they are coming from. When they lick their noses it also carries the scents to a chemical receptor in the roof of their mouth to further increase nasal acuity.
1. According to the American Pet Products Association, about 45% of dogs in the USA share their owner's bed (and most probably also steal the sheets). Move over, Rover!