Planning on getting your pet a gift this year? Many of us do, and our pets enjoy the attention probably as much as a new toy or treat. If you are stumped for what to give your pet or a fellow animal lover, try one of these ideas...
- A shiny new collar and tag - or even a microchip for permanent identification to help reunite you if your pet is ever lost. For cats make sure the collar is a break-away type. Also consider a city license for a gift!
- Spa day - how about a bath, hair-do, and some pampering for your pooch? Don't have a grooming appointment? Invest in a Furminator pet brush and save your house from the shedding!
- Potty training aids - consider training your puppy (or even an older dog) to use bells hung on the door to go outside. For kitty, consider a self-cleaning box or an adapter to work on training to the toilet.
- New treats - try a special variety such as a local fresh baked treat or a dental product, or invest in a long-lasting treat such as an everlasting chew or a kong to fill with peanut butter. If your pet is on a special diet or needs to lose a little weight, consider a physical treat like a plush new bed!
- Toys - everyone loves getting something fun and toys increase your pet's activity level to help keep them at a healthy weight. For cats how about a battery-operated toy or a door hanger for self play (and some catnip!) and for dogs try a tennis ball launcher. If you have a safe yard, consider a pet door to take the play outside!
- Gifts for Animal Lovers - many of the above make great gifts for fellow pet owners! Other ideas include holiday decor like an ornament customized with a pet's name, a gift certificate for a veterinary visit, or - for the person with everything - a donation to a local humane society!